Knowledgeable Georgia DUI Attorney Protects Drivers’ Rights
Committed lawyer defends clients in Cobb and neighboring counties against criminal prosecution
Being convicted of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated can have serious consequences, including loss of license, higher insurance costs, heavy fines and jail time. If you were stopped and charged with a DUI in Cobb, any of the neighboring counties or anywhere in Georgia, I am here to help. I understand that good people can make mistakes and that even one or two drinks can get the unwanted attention and involvement of the police. At David J. Koontz, Attorney at Law, I have the knowledge necessary to challenge the evidence against you, and the ability to help you pursue the best possible outcome.
Skilled Georgia advocate challenges drunk driving charges
At David J. Koontz, Attorney at Law, I may be able to have charges thrown out by demonstrating that an equipment or procedural error resulted in an unfair charge. I will examine whether or not law enforcement followed proper protocol in regard to:
- The stop — Police must be able to demonstrate that they pulled you over based on “reasonable suspicion” that you were acting in violation of the law.
- The sobriety test — There are specific rules that police must follow when administering field sobriety tests, including when measuring blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
- The equipment — Breathalyzer machines have provided inaccurate results in the past, and their reliability can be questioned.
- The arrest — For an arrest to be valid, an officer must have probable cause, which is still a long way from a jury unanimously finding guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
- The evidence — The burden is always on the prosecutor to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and I will thoroughly examine every bit of evidence, including any witness statements, crime lab testing, and videos, to hold the prosecutor to that standard while advocating for the best outcome in your case.
My firm will strive to get you the respect you deserve and the results you desire.
Trusted counselor provides advice on handling DUI stops
If you are ever pulled over by the police on suspicion of drunk driving, there are several ways you can help yourself:
- Remain calm and be polite — It is natural to be nervous, but arguing with an officer or showing frustration will not help your cause.
- Police request to search — you are not required to consent to a search of your vehicle, although the police may potentially cite other legal justifications for a search.
- Field sobriety tests and breath/blood tests — you have the right to refuse all tests; however, such a refusal could result in an upfront administrative license suspension that you would need to appeal within 30 days.
Even two drinks can reach the legal limit — the best practice is never to drive if you have even had one drink, as the officer will typically cite any odor of alcohol on your breath as a reason for investigating further.
If you are arrested and charged with a DUI, it is wise to contact a DUI attorney immediately. At David J. Koontz, Attorney at Law, I can start working on your defense as soon as you enlist my services.
Contact an experienced Georgia lawyer for help fighting a DUI
If you have been arrested for DUI, a qualified defense attorney can advocate for charges to be dismissed or reduced. Call David J. Koontz, Attorney at Law in Marietta today at 678-313-0570 or contact me online to set up a free consultation.